Friday, November 10, 2006

Imagine there is no heaven - Da Macha

Yeah! You are damn right!! There is no heaven. Mythology suggests that good and a lucky few made it to heaven. But wait. What about us lesser mortals? I died 2 days back and am still standing in a special queue, waiting for my exit interview with God. How do I justify my life? In the hectic paced life, we seldom get a chance to justify our stance. Till the day the heart is tired of ticking, we are anxious and alive to grab what is obviously ours, whatever comes our way and probably pull off a percentage of what is meant for others.

“Da Macha! Da Macha!!” shouted the accountant Chitragupta.
I went near God and greeted him.
“Glad to meet you Macha” said God.
“Well what is you religion God?” I asked.
He was shocked.
I continued “I am an atheist and I question your authority to decide whether I will go to hell or heaven.”

“Oh Shut up!!!” shouted Chitragupta. “Already your life ka balance sheet is not tallying.”

“Well Macha” said God. “I am afraid you cannot be sent to Heaven”
I was shocked and angry.
“What do you mean? I have been a very successful businessman. Very rich. Very famous”
“Sheer madness Macha, to live like a wretch and die rich”
“But it was a rat race. I had to run along”
“Oh I see. You knowingly did things that harmed other people, to advance your own career. And you never spent time with your family”
I shouted “You don’t understand business God. Who matters the most to me – ‘I’. What is most important to me – ‘My success’. ‘I’ come before anything else in this world to me”.

“Oh really! Are you proud of stifling other people’s careers? Do you justify the immoral and unethical things you did as a businessman? On your deathbed, you never wish you had spent more time in your office. It is just a matter of striking the right balance. Learn to show love and affection to the people around you. Spend time with them when your family needs you the most. ”

I had realized my mistakes. In a hurry to be successful, I had done a lot of deeds that were wrong. How I wish I would get another chance to live. I felt sad. I cried.

Tears rolling down my eyes, I asked God “Send me to Hell God. I don’t deserve Heaven”.

Chitragupta came running and said “Godji, Godji. His balance sheet refuses to tally. He is still in Coma. We have no choice but to send him back”

God turned to me and said “Remember Macha, Enjoyment of the destination is in the journey. Ends don’t justify the means. Don’t just exist. Live.”

What a shame it would have been to die after slipping on a banana peal.

I returned back from coma, rushed to my office and signed the restructuring plan that will layoff 3000 employees, told the HR head to poach on the competitor’s Marketing team, approved the aggressive marketing initiative that will crush all the small and local players.

Once a businessman always a businessman.

Anyways I know how to handle God when I really die. My son wants me to attend his convocation. But I am very busy with a business meet.
Sorry.

~Da Macha